Wednesday, August 22, 2012

New & Old Summer Favorites


With school starting this week for most students, summer break has come to an end. Yet we still have several weeks remaining with hot, humid summer days. I thought this would be a great time to share one of my favorite meals from this summer. My parents and I returned from Israel very shortly before the Fourth of July and we were feeling very patriotic. We had some great new All-American-type recipes to try out and a few old favorites.
One of the new recipes was a No Potato Salad that I found on Elana’s Pantry. Using cauliflower in place of the potatoes intrigued me. Cauliflower is a very versatile cruciferous vegetable and I've enjoyed it made into faux mashed potatoes and pizza crust, so this sounded like something I had to try. I made a few small changes, such as adding more mustard and more celery. This turned out great and I think it was a crowd pleaser!


A trusty old stand-by for our family is baked chicken nuggets. It’s a kid-pleaser and a favorite of the grownups as well.

We cut 2 chicken breasts into about 1-inch sized pieces and then soak them in coconut milk for 30 minutes or more. Then we combine:
1 Cup Teff Flour
1 ½ teaspoons Herbamare Seasoning

Coat each piece of chicken in the flour mixture and spread out in a 9x13 baking dish that has been oiled with coconut oil. Bake at 400 degrees for 22 minutes.


Two new recipes came from a sneak peak at the Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen’s new cookbook. The first was a baked beans recipe. It called for apple cider; somehow I missed this when making the grocery list, but applesauce and a little water made a fine substitution. These were a huge hit!


The other new recipe was coleslaw made without mayo. The dressing ingredients included cashews and a little Herbamare for seasoning. The salad was a nice crunchy element to the meal.


To top it all off, we finished up with some seriously moist and chocolatey brownies made with almond butter and dark chocolate chips.
 
 
I could go for one of these right now, but I'm in the middle of a 3 Day Suero Viv Cleanse. In all seriousness, the Suero Viv's are so refreshing that even after looking at all of these food pictures, I'm still not craving any of it. I will be posting about my experience on the Suero Viv Cleanse soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment