Monday, April 30, 2012

The Zoo

My mom, dad and I took my five-year-old nephew and my almost-three-year-old niece to the zoo. It was a total blast and we saw some beautiful wonders of God’s creation. I found myself thinking, “Who comes up with these unique creatures? God! That’s Who!” When we first arrived, a HUGE lizard crossed our path…I’m convinced he escaped from the reptile house. There is just no way possible that he was supposed to be running around on the sidewalk. I was too stunned to even get his picture.

Immediately following the “lizard crossing” we saw these interesting “little fuzzy worms” as we called them. I’m sorry, I do not know the proper name, but we had to watch our step so as to avoid them.


As we walked around and looked at the different animals, I was reminded of a desire I had as a little girl to be a Zoologist. I remember thinking how fun it would be to play with the animals and spend time with them…I’m sure there is A LOT more involved than just playing with them…like feeding, cleaning up after them, tending to any medical needs, etc. But, there was just something about it that intrigued me. Though I did not grow up to be a zoologist, I still love animals and being at the Zoo reminded me that God is the Creator, Sustainer and Owner of all, including the animals:
I know all the birds of the hills, and all that moves in the field is mine. –Psalm 50:11
Taking care of animals is a blessing and responsibility mankind received from God:
God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground." – Genesis 1:28
All we ever need do is simply take a walk outside to sense the wonder of Who God is:
The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they reveal knowledge.
They have no speech, they use no words;
no sound is heard from them.
Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.
In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.
It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
It rises at one end of the heavens
and makes its circuit to the other;
nothing is deprived of its warmth. – Psalm 19:1-6

I must say, after seeing every animal at the Zoo, on this particular day I was most drawn to the Highland Cattle. This one so gently and calmly walked to the fence and stood for us to stroke his back. We could sense his gentleness immediately and from what I read, these guys do not stress easily….perhaps that is why I liked him so very much, that sense of peace...and he is just so cute. 


I also greatly enjoyed watching the giraffes. I couldn’t help but think “grace” as I watched them. They too had kind eyes and gentleness about them. Though their long legs may make them at first seem a little awkward, the ease with which they looked around and bowed their heads seemed so very graceful.



The Zoo…a perfect opportunity to take in the incredible beauty of what our Lord has created with just a word:

And God said, “Let the waters swarm with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the heavens.” So God created the great sea creatures and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.” And there was evening and there was morning, the fifth day.

And God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds—livestock and creeping things and beasts of the earth according to their kinds.” And it was so. And God made the beasts of the earth according to their kinds and the livestock according to their kinds, and everything that creeps on the ground according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. -Genesis 1:20-25


No comments:

Post a Comment