Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What Good Is It?

I’ve been thinking quite a bit lately about the balance and the tension between faith and works. How much do I ask, believe and wait for God to work all things for my good and His glory and how much to I actively participate in the fulfillment of His promises and blessings? What good is it for me to ask God to change a circumstance, yet I make no effort to change what I am doing physically, mentally, emotionally or spiritually? Won’t the circumstance most often remain the same if my behaviors and attitudes that allowed or enabled the circumstance to occur are not dealt with and altered?

What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? …You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works… faith apart from works is dead. – James 2:14, 22, 26

Looking back over the last few years of my life, I can relate to this passage from Exodus just after Moses led Israel through the Red Sea…

Then Moses brought Israel from the Red Sea and they went into the Wilderness of Shur. They went three days in the wilderness and found no water. When they came to Marah, they could not drink the water of Marah because it was bitter; therefore it was named Marah. And the people complained against Moses, saying, “What shall we drink?” So he cried out to the Lord, and the Lord showed him a tree. When Moses cast the tree into the water, the water became sweet. – Exodus 15:22-25

When I faced a bitter trial, I looked up, I cried out to God for wisdom and direction and healing and asked Him to show me what I should do. I looked into His Word, I waited and He answered.

The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover, by them is your servant warned; in keeping them is great reward. – Psalm 19:7-11

All of the answers did not come over night, but He graciously led me through a process of learning (through books, testimonies of others and trial and error) how to change my diet and consume foods that He created to fuel my body so that I am healthy and able to do the work He has prepared for me. I believe the process was a balance of faith and works. I had faith and prayed and believed God in His mighty power would heal my body and restore me to good health, yet I and my wonderful mom (who was right beside me all the way) worked as diligently as we could to soak up the information we needed and make the changes necessary to rebuild and repair what had been broken down. To me, “works” is synonymous with “obedience”. We thanked God for revealing to us the usefulness of His creation and simply did what we were led and shown to do as an act of obedience. He led us beside still waters to what is true and pleasant. Today I am thankful for all of the changes that have been made and that I can know Him personally as my Jehovah-Rapha.

I am the Lord, your healer. – Exodus 15:26

He restores my soul. – Psalm 23:3

Here is a favorite new recipe using whole foods that are nourishing and incredibly delicious! This spinach and mushroom frittata can be eaten with a salad for dinner, reheated in the oven for breakfast and served with berries or taken to the office for lunch with raw veggies.


Spinach and Mushroom Frittata

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. extra virgin coconut oil
2 (10 oz.) packages of frozen chopped spinach
1 large red onion, chopped
1 clove fresh garlic, chopped
2 cups chopped mushrooms (I used baby portobellas)
12 oz. Beyond Organic Havarti Cheese
12 large eggs

Heat oil in an iron skillet on stove top. Add onion, garlic and spinach. Saute for a few minutes, then add mushrooms and sauté for a few more minutes. Remove from heat and add cheese and eggs, stirring until well combined.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 9-inch pie dishes with parchment paper and divide mixture between the two dishes. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until egg and cheese are set. Remove from oven and serve hot with salad. You can refrigerate or freeze for a later date.



No comments:

Post a Comment