Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Waiting for Cookies

This happened several months ago, but I’m constantly reminded of the lesson I learned from my four-year-old nephew…

One morning he asked me to bake chocolate chip cookies to have for a snack after lunch. Just after lunch I went to the kitchen to prepare the cookie dough. As my nephew took his last bite of lunch, he walked to the pantry and said, “No, I want graham crackers instead, I don’t want chocolate chip cookies.” He proceeded to eat a few graham crackers and then declared he was full. Two and a half hours later, I baked the cookies for my niece, my mom and myself. My nephew had become excited again about the opportunity to have fresh baked cookies, so we placed one on a plate for him as well. He only poked his finger through the chocolate chips that were visible from the top of the cookie, licked his finger a few times, then declared, “I’m done.”

I began to think how many times I ask God for something good and grow tired of waiting, becoming impatient with the wait, turning to other, lesser things to fill me up. How often do I trade “fresh baked, warm and gooey cookies” for “quick, less satisfying, dry, plain graham crackers”? How often do I choose to “fill up” on TV, Internet, busyness, mindless things of this world, rather than wait for Holy God to speak, wait to clearly discern, wait to see His glory?

The difference between a graham cracker and a chocolate chip cookie is about 20 minutes…

Father God, in Jesus’ name I ask that you will strengthen me to hold fast to Your word, to pray expectantly, and to wait with great focus and anticipation at what You are saying and doing. Lord, I don’t want to fight you for the things I don’t truly want, please help me accept what You give that I truly need.

And Jesus said to him, “What do you want me to do for you?” – Mark 10:51


When Jesus asks what I want Him to do for me, I pray my requests will not be selfish, but will be guided by a heart laid bare before the One who redeems and lights my way, by a heart awaiting His divine guidance and wisdom, and by a heart that desires ultimately to bring Him praise, honor and thanksgiving.


Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 ½ Cups Almond Flour/Meal
½ tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
½ tsp. Baking Soda
1/3 Cup Grapeseed Oil – or – ¼ to 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil
½ Cup Honey or Maple Syrup
2 tsp. Vanilla
1 Cup Bittersweet Chocolate Chips (can use semisweet for a sweeter taste)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together all ingredients. Scoop or roll into 1-inch balls and place on a stone cookie sheet or a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes. (Makes about 24 cookies)

No comments:

Post a Comment