Friday, October 7, 2011

New Challenges and a Hearty Fall Breakfast

I finally made the commitment last week…I’m officially registered to run a half marathon in just about five short weeks. I’ve always wanted to run a half marathon and who knows…maybe one day I will run a full marathon…we’ll see how this half goes. On Wednesday morning I entered full-on training mode. I set my clock for a 5:00 a.m. wake up call…this is going to take some adjusting! I think I actually got out of bed around 5:40 or so and hit the pavement about an hour later. I usually work out in the evenings, so getting up-and-going early is going to be a challenge, but I don’t want to be in complete shock at 6:30 a.m. on race day morning, so it’s one I’m willing to embrace.

The last few days have been a test to rise early, but every morning as the clock radio comes on I remind myself of Proverbs 31:15 – She rises while it is yet night. In rising early, I can definitely see a big jump in energy throughout each day and more time to accomplish more daily tasks and more discipline to get in bed at a decent hour each night. I’m hoping to form some new and worthy habits over these next weeks.

I’ve always been a BIG fan of breakfast and with my new schedule it is essentially important to refuel with a well-balanced meal after a good workout. Wednesday morning I had the BEST Hearty Fall Breakfast: scrambled eggs with veggies, cauliflower mash, cantaloupe and kiwi.


This particular morning I scrambled the eggs with spinach, broccoli, turmeric and paprika. Mushrooms and red onions are also great additions, but we were out of those on this particular morning. Adding veggies to eggs is a most excellent way to pack extra nutrition into the day and the turmeric is a great anti-inflammatory/anti-cancer spice.

Cauliflower is in high season right now, so it is super easy to find in abundance and is one of my most favorite and nutrient dense veggies to eat. I literally cannot get enough of it right now…eating it for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner whenever possible.

Cauliflower mash

1 Head Cauliflower
¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sea Salt (to taste)

Quarter cauliflower and place in a medium pot with a small amount of water. Cook covered over medium heat until tender. Place cauliflower, olive oil and sea salt in a Vitamix or blender and process until the consistency of mashed potatoes. Serve warm and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment