Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Gratitude

The Thanksgiving menu is planned, the groceries are bought, the turkey is thawing and I’m ready to start cooking! Last year was the first year for my mom and me to cook an entire Thanksgiving meal. Everything turned out better than we could have even hoped, so we are pretty excited to try our hand at it again this year.

As important as a good meal is, I’m taking a little time out to reflect on some of the things for which I’ve been thankful this year. Afterall, what is a good meal without first giving thanks?

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him who have been called according to His purpose. – Romans 8:28

Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. – 1 Thessalonians 5:18


He took the bread and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "take, eat..." - 1 Corinthians 11:23-24

From the silly to serious and everything in between, here are some of my thanks offerings...

Chloe



Playing games with my nephew



Birthday cards

Little birds tucked under little arms

Chocolate mustaches

Green grass

Sunlight early in the morning until late in the evening

Mutual encouragement

My Holy Counselor

The sustaining, comforting, strengthening power of God’s word.

The clack, clack, clack of my niece’s princess shoes on the tile floor

Hope

Light

Heart that pumps blood, lungs that breathe air, legs that carry me



Floral prints

My niece singing “Jesus Loves Me” during a pancake breakfast and again while playing on the beach



Windmills

Chocolate chip cookies



Sword clouds in the sky

Wet dogs on the back porch



Testimony of others

Clean kitchen before bedtime

Lara bars

Endless questions

Prayer

The Cross

God’s love, mercy, forgiveness

Sunsets on the beach



It’ll be ok…just be nice

Clean dogs



Awakening to a new day of God’s plans

My nephew reading “Mad Maddie Maxwell” to me

Cows grazing in green pasture

Hugs

Missing others and being missed by others

Surrender and acceptance

Change

Farmers Market



Community

Walking in the rain

Knowing

Overcoming

Swimming in the deep

Basketball in the pool

Fresh paint

Learning to enjoy the journey

Laundry…stacks getting smaller

Sorting through old stuff

Rainbow after the storm

Movies on the beach

Friends in unexpected places

Old photo albums

Cobwebs in high places

He knows

Little brown bunnies waiting in the grass

Hens pecking in the neighbor’s yard

Lizard houses

Facing truth, letting go, tear-filled nights

The One who collects my tears

Beauty rising from the ashes of refining fires

Sunrise

Running the race

5 year-olds birthdays

Monkey cards with monkey sounds

Eyes to see needs, opportunities to be hands and feet

Hot tea

Life-giving words

It was really difficult to pick highlights from the ever-growing list of things for which to be thankful. I am blessed beyond measure and my cup truly overflows.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow. – Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment