Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Unexpected Shower and a Promise

So I was nearing the 4.5 mile mark in my run, the sun was beaming, sweat was pouring off of me, the heat index was well above 100 degrees, and dirt or trash of some sort had just blown in my eye. As I closed my eye, I realized that yes, trash had blown in my eye, yes…a cool breeze had begun to blow. Thank you, Lord, for cool breezes on hot days.

Then I began to feel tiny drops of refreshing rain. It was a soft shower that cooled me down as I walked the last half mile of my 5 mile journey. The sun was still shining, the sky was blue with just a few pillowy white clouds scattered about, but there was a steady washing…thank you, Lord, for unexpected showers.

The rain became a little more intense as I passed by in front of my house, but I wasn’t ready to take cover, so I kept walking…just one more time around the block. When I turned the last corner before returning to my street and entering the home stretch, I looked up and saw it. High in the sky, stretched far and wide was a beautiful rainbow as if on display for me as I made my way home. Thank you, Lord, for beauty in the sky.


Thank you, Lord, for promises far beyond what we could think, ask, or ever deserve.

And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature. And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.” - Genesis 9:12-16

No comments:

Post a Comment